Hai Nguyen brings over 10 years of in-depth knowledge of the Vietnamese capital markets, energy sectors and the general legal landscape of Vietnam.
Hai’s current main areas of practice include:
- Capital Markets, and Finance transactions, and
- Corporate Transactional and Advisory matters.
His practice is recognised by International Financial Law Review, Asialaw, IFLR, Chambers and Partners and Asia Pacific Legal 500.
Hai has also authored numerous publications covering a wide range of topics, including global trade, power and Vietnamese legal framework in general and had his articles published notably on Infra Asia, Asian Power and Asia-Mena Counsel Magazine.
Hai is recently recognised as Asia Future Leader 2021 by IFLR in both capital markets and project development. This title is awarded to those individual practitioners who have displayed ongoing exceptional leadership attributes and who received the highest praise from their peers and clients in their relevant jurisdictions.
Prior to joining YKVN, Hai spent 5 years at the Corporate and International Trade departments of Mayer Brown JSM in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
University of the West of England, United Kingdom, LL.M. (2011)
Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam, B.A. in International relations & Public international law (2007)
Ho Chi Minh City Bar Association
Banking and Finance
- Represented Sovico – the holding company of VietJet on several USD secured loans with Credit Suisse;
- Represented a leading Japanese bank in Vietnam on its provision of USD 100 million to finance a mixed-use property development in Vietnam;
- Represented ITL Holdings as the borrower on a USD 70 million refinancing provided by FIRSTRAND BANK LIMITED;
- Advised an offshore lender on a complex multi-tranche secured term loan facility to a distressed company specializing in mixed-use casino developments in Vietnam;
- Represented PetroVietnam Transportation Corporation on securing USD 150 million syndicated loan for financing the new building of crude tanker fleet; and
- Advised international lenders on financing several hydropower projects in Vietnam.
- Represented HD Bank on investment through convertible bonds by IFC/DEG and Affinity funds;
- Represented Credit Suisse on various block trade transactions on Vietnamese securities market;
- Represented the issuer Novaland on its issue of USD 160 million international convertible bonds and its subsequent tab issue of USD 80 million;
- Represented the issuer Vinpearl on its issue of USD 325 million international bonds exchangeable with Vingroup shares and its subsequent tab issue of USD 125 million bonds;
- Represented the issuer Hoan My Saigon Hospital on its issue of VND 2,330 billion bonds and guaranteed by CGIF;
- Represented Standard Chartered Bank (Vietnam) Limited as the placement agent on the issue by Nam Long Investment Corporation of VND 660 billion bonds and guaranteed by GuarantCo Ltd;
- Represented FE Credit on its attempt to proceed a debut USD bond issuance of up to USD200 million; and
- Represented one of the local leading banks on its attempt to debut the first Vietnam’s Tier II capital bond issuance.
Corporate and M&A
- Represented Vingroup on KKR’s investment in Vingroup;
- Represented Soft Bank on its proposed acquisition of minority stake in a Vietnamese cashless payment platform;
- Represented Cognita as the bidder on the proposed acquisition of a Vietnamese international school chain;
- Represented one of the largest Japanese automobile manufacturers on its majority acquisition of a Vietnamese leading automobile manufacturer;
- Represented a potential buyer on its acquisition of a Vietnamese company engaging in the production of chemicals and plastics;
- Represented a Dubai-based investment firm on its acquisition of assets located in Vietnam;
- Represented a Thai buyer on its acquisition of a Vietnamese company engaging in the retail business;
- Advised a number of offshore insurance companies on the Vietnamese insurance regulations; and
- Regularly delivering FCPA/anti-corruption trainings to foreign-invested companies.
Energy & Infrastructure
- Advising a foreign investor in relation to a proposed offshore wind project located in Binh Thuan Province, Vietnam;
- Advising a potential investor 0n a licensed LNG project and developers on the early stages of a few LNG projects in Vietnam;
- Advised Chubu Electric Power Co., Inc, on its acquisition of 20% of Bitexco Power Corporation (a leading renewable energy group in Vietnam);
- Represented international lenders on the proposed financing to Nam Dinh 1 BOT thermal power plant;
- Advised a PRC investor on its proposed acquisition of a greenfield wind farm in Vietnam;
- Represented a Singapore-based energy firm on its acquisition of shares in the developer of 250MW solar power project in Dak Lak Province, Vietnam;
- Represented Temasek on its acquisition of a number of solar farms in Vietnam;
- Advised international oil companies on tax reimbursement claims, abandonment regulations and arbitration issues relating to their oil and gas exploration and production activities in Vietnam;
- Advised a Japanese conglomerate on its acquisition of a 33% equity interest in a BOT power project in Vietnam;
- Advised a Singapore-based energy firm on the land lease contract and the EPC contract for the construction of a bitumen terminal in Northern Vietnam;
- Advised offshore insurer on Vinh Tan 3 BOT thermal power project in relation to the issuance of the political risk policy; and
- Advised on and negotiating the bareboat charters, and operation and maintenance (O&M) contracts for the construction and operation of floating production storage and offloading (FPSO/FSO).
- Represented leading Vietnamese seafood companies and association including Hung Vuong Corporation, Vinh Hoan, VASEP before the United States’ Department on Commerce in the antidumping order against tra/basa;
- Represented Chinese and Taiwanese steel companies before the Ministry of Industry and Trade of Vietnam on the first ever antidumping investigation in Vietnam;
- Represented Russian Agro company on the safeguard investigation in Vietnam; and
- Represented various Vietnamese steel manufacturers including Nam Kim Group, Hoa Sen Group, Ton Dong A on various antidumping/anti-subsidy investigations in Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and Australia.
Notable practitioner | Capital Markets | Asialaw | 2023, 2022, 2021
Rising star | Capital Markets | IFLR | 2023, 2021, 2020
Rising star | Projects | IFLR | 2022, 2021, 2020
Asia Future Leaders 2021 | Capital Markets and Project Development | IFLR
Rising Star | Corporate and M&A | Legal 500 | 2023, 2022, 2021
Recommended Lawyer | Projects | Legal 500 | 2023, 2022
Recommended Lawyer | Banking & Finance | Legal 500 | 2023, 2022
Recommended Lawyer | Capital Markets | Legal 500 | 2023, 2021
“Nguyen Van Hai is a partner at YKVN who is young and talented, pays attention to details and is meticulous.”
- Providing Loans and Guarantees for Overseas Expansion: The New Draft Vietnamese Rules of The Game (2022);
- Cross-border lending in Vietnam: Vietnam poised to toughen foreign borrowing regulations (2022);
- Private placements of corporate bonds in Vietnam: Are the proposed new regulations designed to promote or curb further market development? (2022);
- Vietnam Chapter | 2022 The Corporate Governance Review | The Law Reviews – 12th Edition;
- Vietnam Chapter | ESG ASIA Report 2022 | IFLR;
- Vietnam’s New Merger Control Regime: the First Year (2021);
- Vietnam Chapter | 2021 The Corporate Governance Review | The Law Reviews – 11th Edition;
- Covid-19 and Force Majeure in Light of Vietnamese Law and Practice (2020);
- “Big” MAC clause in Vietnam – The Covid-19 Make-over in M&A Deals (2020).